Last week I did a post on some of my wardrobe essentials for this spring, and as a follow up, I now have my beauty essentials up. As spring and summer roll in, I try to ditch heavy make up in terms of colour and product. I love taking advantage of this time to experiment with brighter colours that just don’t suit the winter nor a 8am Monday morning class.
1. Colorful nail polish (Thakoon for NARS Spring 2012 Collection, $21) I haven’t been much of a nail polish person in the past, but recently, I’ve been stockpiling on the brightest colours. Bright nails are the perfect way to slowly start adding more adventurous colours into your look if you’re still not too comfortable with bright face make up.
2. Bronzer (Rimmel London Natural Bronzer, $8.70/Burberry ‘Warm Glow’ Natural Bronzer, $48) As I get darker over the summer months, it gets annoying having to buy a new foundation on a weekly basis, so bronzer is my best bet for achieving an even colour on my face. If you don’t tan easily, using a light bronzer to contour your face can also achieve a great look.
3. Highlighter (NARS Illuminator in Orgasm, $30/ NARS Multiple Stick in Orgasm, $39) Using a highlighter can add such a nice natural looking glow to your face, especially when paired with bronzer and a flattering blush. Using a colour such as NARS’s popular Orgasm can add the right amount of colour and shine just where you need it.
4. Bright lipstick (MAC lipstick $17.50 CDN) Lip products were another item that I hardly ever bothered with besides swiping some lip balm on. But now I find myself wearing really bright colours on a regular basis. An orange, coral, or bright pink lip are my favourites right now for the next few months, and I know I’ll be purchasing many more shades!
5. Tinted moisturizer (Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, $53 CDN/ Clinique BB Cream, $37) Most foundations are too thick to be wearing all day in the humid city weather conditions. Opting for something lighter such as a moisturizer or BB cream can be such a relief. They also normally contain SPF which is an added bonus if you’re spending quite a bit of time in the sun.
What are some of your beauty essentials for spring and summer?